Expandable hoses—that stretch up to three times in length when water is turned on, and return to their original size when they’re turned off—make lawn and garden care a whole lot easier. These self-draining, kink-, twist-, and tangle-resistant hoses weigh far less than their conventional counterparts and take up very little storage space.
Choosing the right expandable hose is certainly more challenging than using one. BestReviews is here to help you shop for the right one.
Our team has done some digging to create this shopping guide filled with pertinent information, including the benefits and drawbacks of this type of hose, features to keep in mind when shopping, and some frequently asked questions. When you’re ready to buy, check out our top picks.
5 Best Expandable Hoses of 2021:
One of the best expandable garden hoses you could have is also our Editor’s Choice, the Flexi Hose Expandable Garden Hose. It offers tremendous value and is priced towards the lower end of the expandable hose price points. But don’t let this low price fool you – you’re getting a top-notch product that should last you a long time. However, there might be some leaks if you don’t give it proper care or don’t follow the instructions.
It comes in three different lengths: 50, 75, and 100 feet, but note that these figures are when it is expanded (i.e., is charged with water). When water is drained from this expandable hose, it will be three times shorter than these figures. It’s very light as well and weighs less than three pounds. This is great because it’ll help you easily move it, and it won’t take up too much room either.
Like most expandable hoses, this Flexi hose comes with brass fittings, which are rust and corrosion-free and also do a good job at preventing water leaks. At the end of the hose, you’ll find the on/off valve that is sturdy and pretty convenient. The hose itself is made of elastic and easily expandable latex material with a flexible nylon exterior and features a double-layer latex piping. It can withstand up to 12 bars of water pressure, and that is a bit over-excessive as 8 is really all you’ll need. Another great feature about this hose is its 8-pattern rotating hose nozzle.
- 8-pattern spray
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Can withstand high water pressure
- Double-layer latex piping
- Can leak after heavy usage
This hose features four layers of latex and expands from 17 feet to 50 feet in just seconds. The hose is designed with top-quality brass connectors, a shut-off valve, and advanced connector protectors to prevent leaking.
It comes with a storage bag and holder. The hose is flexible, lightweight, easy to store, and produces good pressure. It retracts well when you turn the water off, and it expands quickly when you turn the water on. It doesn’t get caught under your car tires when you move around it. It’s also very supple yet feels rugged compared to other expandable water hoses. The hose is convenient to pick up and move due to its weight, and it doesn’t tangle or kink. In addition, it comes with a multi-functional nozzle that can be set to nine different spray positions. Finally, it shrinks up to almost nothing after use.
One problem is the rubber stopper above the handle may pop off during use. There have also been some complaints that the splitter leaks and that the connection to the faucet can easily break, blowing the hose out of the fitting. Also, the hose doesn’t work very well if you have low water pressure.
- Shut-off valve by nozzle
- Relatively affordable
- Storage bag included
- Includes 8-pattern spray nozzle
- Rare quality control issues
3. TruTec 50ft
The TruTec 50ft expanding garden Hose is a great premium option for anyone looking for a durable, convenient model. While it might cost more than some models on this list, it is very durable and built to last. Plus, it comes with a stainless steel hose holder to keep your 50ft expanding garden Hose off the ground as well as a setting spray nozzle and storage bag.
When the water is on, this hose can expand to 50’ in length. That’s enough to cover most average-sized lawns. And for easy storage, it collapses to 17 feet in length once drained.
TruTec designed this hose with a triple layer latex core. While slightly heavier than double-core models, it’s far stronger and provides better protection against leaks. And the durable weave of the Nylon protective cover ensures that this 50ft expanding garden Hose can withstand day-to-day wear and tear.
Like most quality models today, this 50ft expanding garden Hose is designed with solid brass ¾” fittings. This means that they’re less likely to crack or leak and are resistant to corrosion.
- Strong braid nylon outer layer
- Triple layer latex core
- Solid water flow
- Comes with storage bag, garden hose nozzle, and hose holder
- One of the strongest expandable hoses on amazon
- Hose can leak after some use
As its brand name suggests, the bright green Expandable Garden Hose from Growgreen will look right at home in your garden. It’s color also makes it easy to spot in the grass.
The Expandable Garden Hose from GrowGreen is available in 4 flavors: 25, 50, 75, and 100 feet with weights starting at 2 lbs to 4 lbs for the longest hose. If you haven’t noticed yet, this is the lightest option on our list. If weight is important to you, you’ll love this hose from GrowGreen.
The lightweight design doesn’t skimp on quality either. The hose sports durable corrosion resistance brass couplings, and a high-quality latex interior that can support up to 10 Bar of pressure. Although it’s still quite robust, this expandable hose’s material quality is just third-best to our two previous hoses. Also, It’s 8-way nozzle closely resembles Flexi Hose but it has the superior quality of the two.
- The fabric can abrade or pill on rougher surfaces
This versatile expandable hose is capable of expanding up to three times in length and comes in 30, 75, or 100 feet options. It features durable and high-quality rust-proof and corrosion-resistant brass connectors and shut-off valves with a 9-function spray nozzle. Choose from center, mist, angle, jet, soaker, cone, shower, flat, or full spray options for a fully customizable watering experience.
This super strong hose is capable of withstanding up to 12 bars of pressure and can handle temperatures ranging from minus 4 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. It promises never to tangle or kink and will function reliably for a long time without tearing, leaking, or cracking, thanks to its double latex pipe construction and extra-flexible and rugged 3750D polyester fabric cover.
One thing to note is that this hose functions ideally with water pressures that range between 40-80 PSI, which are required to fully expand the hose. Weaker water pressures may not allow the hose to function properly.
- Heavy Duty No Tear, Twist, Leak, Rust or Crack Materials
- Easy, Lightweight & Durable
- 9-Way Watering Nozzle
- Can handle up to 12 bars of pressure
- Aluminum couplings/fittings are not as durable as brass
- No extra fittings/nozzle/equipment
Things to Consider When Buying an Expandable Hose
When you’re shopping for an expandable hose, you want to make certain that the money you’re spending is going towards a product that can meet your needs. This means you should look for certain qualities and features in an expandable hose before buying one. Check out the most important factors for consideration.
- Length and Weight. Expandable hoses are available in many different sizes, but it seems the average size is 17ft expanding to 50ft. You will be able to find smaller hoses that expand to just 25ft and larger hoses over 100ft too.
- Materials. The materials in an expandable hose can vary. While many are made out of latex and polyester, there are other options. And the materials of a hose can determine its durability, its ability to hold water, its flexibility, and whether or not it might spring a leak.
- Number Of Cores. The inner core of a hose protects it from any potential punctures or natural degradation and the more core layers a hose has the better protected it is. Some hoses come with 2 cores and others as many as 4 core layers.
- Hose Fittings. There are a few elements that make up an expandable hose. Aside from the main pipe, there is a hose tap connector, a hosepipe connector, a water stop hose nozzle, and a hose nozzle. The hose connector is the fitting that you want to pay attention to the most.
How Expandable Hoses Work
The reason that expandable hoses retract and expand so well is the way they are designed. Each hose has two distinct layers. The outer layer is a woven expandable fabric that protects the inner rubber or latex hose which expands in response to water pressure. When the water is turned on, the pressure causes the inner layer to expand. It expands on the inside until it is stopped by the outer fabric layer. Once fully expanded it is a long and more functional hose.
The result is a garden hose that is virtually kink proof. And since the inner rubber layer has self-sealing properties, most expandable hoses are also resistant to leaks, holes, and tears.
- Stretch out an expandable hose before you use it for the first time. Close the shut-off valve, fill the hose with water, and let it expand to its full length. Next, release the water and let the hose drain itself. Repeat the process one time. This will stretch out the hose, allow you to see any defects or leaks, and ensure that the hose is working to the best of its abilities.
- When you’re not using an expandable hose, avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or in frigid temperatures. Sun and inclement weather can reduce the hose’s lifespan by damaging the inner tubing.
- One way to store your expandable hose is by hanging it on a storage hook. This will keep it out of the way of animals, who may damage it, or people who may accidentally step on it.
Expandable Hoses FAQ
Q. My expandable hose has sprung a leak! What can I do to fix it?
A. Most expandable hoses can’t be fixed once punctured. Instead, look for products that come with a replacement warranty. It’s almost a given that your expandable model will spring a leak at some point. Choosing a product with a good warranty and replacement policy is your best option.
Q. How do you use an expandable garden hose?
A. Attach the hose, with nozzle already in place, to the water supply. Turn on the water to full pressure. Be cautious not to drag the hose against rough surfaces like concrete or thorny plants, or drive over the hose, as this can puncture or decrease the lifespan of the hose.
Q. Can I use my garden hose in the winter?
A. Yes, but you’ll need to be extra careful about doing so. Use your hose as needed, but remember to immediately shut off the outdoor water supply when you’re done to avoid freezing and potentially damaging your water pipes. Also drain your hose before storing it to keep it from cracking and freezing.
Q. What’s the best way to store an expandable hose?
A. When the expandable hose is not in use, turn off the water supply, disconnect the hose, and allow it to self drain. Then store the hose out of extreme temperatures and direct sunlight. Most expandable hoses come with either a hook for hanging or a storage bag.